This is a photo I recently found posted on Facebook by a proud Party member who made the following statement:
“Besides the American and Mexican concept but this is meant toward all of you saying that immigrants are taking your jobs.”
Isn’t the picture used as evidence truly a good data point? There’s so much information in this low-quality photo of two people who we can barely see any distinguishing features of and know nothing about. The statement of: “I may not have all the links in the world but I do have the facts” is a great non-sequitur. He has facts but can’t actually find them or discuss them intelligently. It really is emotions over logic, reason, and facts in debates with progressives. I wonder if the Sandroid at the end of the comments would willingly give up 90% of his income and house some “refugees”?
Below are the two articles that I cited from the Center for Immigration Studies:
Among the findings:
- Of the 465 civilian occupations, only four are majority immigrant. These four occupations account for less than 1 percent of the total U.S. workforce. Moreover, native-born Americans comprise 47 percent of workers in these occupations.
- Many jobs often thought to be overwhelmingly immigrant are in fact majority native-born:
- Maids and housekeepers: 55 percent native-born
- Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 58 percent native-born
- Butchers and meat processors: 63 percent native-born
- Grounds maintenance workers: 65 percent native-born
- Construction laborers: 65 percent native-born
- Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 71 percent native-born
- Janitors: 75 percent native-born
Three conclusions can be drawn from this analysis:
- First, the long-term decline in the employment for natives across age and education levels is a clear indication that there is no general labor shortage, which is a primary justification for the large increases in immigration (skilled and unskilled) in the Schumer-Rubio bill and similar House proposals.
- Second, the decline in work among the native-born over the last 14 years of high immigration is consistent with research showing that immigration reduces employment for natives.
- Third, the trends since 2000 challenge the argument that immigration on balance increases job opportunities for natives. Over 17 million immigrants arrived in the country in the last 14 years, yet native employment has deteriorated significantly.
Being a progressives means never having to cite where you got your information and ignoring what anyone who disagrees with you says. Or telling them that they are a bigoted, xenophobic, islamophobic, homophobic, racist, privileged, race-traitor.