Tag: DIY

Thoughts on rubberized undercoating…

Oh boy, are we in for a good post today folks. Tonight’s post is about the laborious task of removing the rubberized undercoating that the previous owner of my truck applied to the frame and lower portions of the body and bed. I am not a fan of rubberized undercoating as it can make a lot of electrical plugs or bolts difficult to remove, lowers the ability to easily inspect some parts, and cracks over time which allows water to get under it but not easily evaporate. I long ago began the project of removing all of this gunk from my truck and it has been slow going and I still have much left to do. Attempting to use any type of wire wheel, grinding disc, flap disc is ineffective at removing these types of coating as the removal media is rapidly clogged. The use of a chemical means of dissolving the rubberized coating (I just recently noticed that the methylene chloride formula is no longer available in California) is necessitated by this problem and is very miserable and time-consuming.

Here’s a quick video for anyone who is thinking about using rubberized undercoating on their on vehicle:

Here are some of the photos of the work I’ve been doing on the truck most recently:

I had a little mishap as I was removing some rust from the rear axle…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

While I really do need to finish this project I probably should have thought a little harder about the variable-gauge wire wheel I was using next to the wheel speed sensor cabling. It would have been so easy to unplug but I decided to test fate instead. I am fairly certain that no harm was done to the sensor but I bought that as well; hopefully I can just return it.

price_of_failure

This photo is unrelated to the post, but do you like my custom exhaust mod?

Simple Soldering Projects ~ “Flashing LED Sweethearts

About a week ago I decided to start a soldering project; something that I haven’t done in over two years now. I spent about three hours assembling this “Flashing LED Sweethearts” project but could have finished faster if I had more batteries or a different camera. All of the equipment I used in the following videos was purchased at Fry’s Electronics though very recently I have started going to WE-Supply for some more specialized equipment (I’ll post some more about that at a later date). I would type out all of the details of assembling this fun hobby project, but then I already did that in all of these videos I just made. Enjoy!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.